Roulette is one of the most popular games in the gambling industry. This casino classic has been around for centuries and Canadians love it. It attracts many punters with its simple rules and thrill of the wheel spin. But thanks to modern technology, you can now play roulette online without leaving your house. There are numerous online casinos that offer different variations of this game to Canadians.
Our comprehensive guide aims to help both beginners and experienced players learn everything about playing roulette. Discover with us the history of this casino classic, learn about the different bet types and get useful tips. In addition, we’ll look at the game variations in detail and learn some common terms.
The Best Casinos to Play Online Roulette in 2023:
|1||22Bet Casino Review||Welcome Bonus 100% up to C$450||Claim Bonus|
|2||Tortuga Casino Review||Welcome Bonus 120% up to $1200||Claim Bonus|
|3||Zaza Casino Review||Welcome Bonus 100% Up To C$1500 + 1000 Free spins||Claim Bonus|
|4||Casoo Casino Review||Welcome Package up to C$3,000 + 200 Free Spins||Claim Bonus|
|5||Casino.com Review||Welcome Package 100% up to C$1000 + 200 Free Spins||Claim Bonus|
|6||Stakes Casino Review||Welcome Bonus 100% up to C$1000 + 50 free spis||Claim Bonus|
|7||VegasPlus Casino Review||Welcome Bonus Package up to $2,250 + 100 free spins||Claim Bonus|
|8||777 Casino Review||Welcome Package Up To C$1500 + 77 Free Spins||Claim Bonus|
|9||Ocean Breeze Casino Review||Welcome Package up to $6000 + 150 Free Spins||Claim Bonus|
|10||Wild Sultan Casino Review||Welcome Bonus 100% up to C$500 + 100 free spins||Claim Bonus|
The Evolution of Roulette
The name of the game “roulette” means ‘a little wheel’ in English. It is believed that it was invented back in the 18th century in France. And, the creator was, indeed, the famous physicist and mathematician – Blaise Pascal. Initially, French roulette had a wheel with 36 pockets, including zero and a double zero one. The zero pockets were red in color and the double zero – black.
Later on two brothers – Francois and Louis Blanc took the game to Germany. However, the new version had just a single zero. On the other hand, Americans play the game with a double zero ever since it arrived there through New Orleans. Hence today roulette has plenty of variations, such as American, French, European roulette, and so on.
Online Roulette Interface
One of the reasons why so many people love roulette is because of the simple design. The layout includes a wheel, and a ball. The numbers on the wheel range between 0 and 36, but vary depending on the roulette type.
Moreover, the pockets on the roulette wheel are marked with different colors – red, black and green. There is a ball track where the ball will move around as the wheel spins before settling down. Additionally, in some variants you may find a race track with special bets in a roulette game. In a nutshell, these are the outstanding features you can find on a standard roulette game.
How to Play Roulette
Although roulette may appear complicated, especially to beginners, it’s actually very simple. A standard roulette game features a spinning wheel and a betting table. Additionally, there is also a small ball and several bet options. Basically, the objective in roulette is to correctly predict where the ball will land after spinning around the wheel. But before you start playing, it is essential to understand that roulette is a pure game of chance and no strategy can influence the winnings.
Here are simple steps to help you get started:
- Select a chip size (can be between 10 and 100 coins)
- Place a bet by clicking on the table layout.
- Click on the ‘SPIN’ button to start the wheel.
- Wait for the wheel to spin until it stops.
- Collect your winnings or try again if you lose.
These steps apply to a standard roulette game. Moreover, it is highly recommended to start with a free version before you start playing for real money.
|1||WildBlaster Casino Review||Welcome Bonus 100% up to C$150 + 100 Free Spins||Claim Bonus|
Roulette Bet Types
Like other casino games, roulette comes with different types of bets to choose from. You may choose to play the inside bets or the outside bets. Furthermore, some variations of roulette come with a race track that bears additional special bets. Here are all bet options and the possible payouts:
- Straight Up Bet: A bet on a single number or a few numbers, with odds of 35 to 1.
- Split Bet: A bet on two numbers that are adjacent to one another on the betting table. It has odds of 17 to 1.
- Street Bet: A bet on three numbers. In this case, the chip is placed on the line that separates the outside bets from the inside bets. The odds are 11 to 1.
- Corner Bet: For a corner bet, place a chip at the intersection of a horizontal line with a vertical line inside the layout. It has odds of 8 to 1.
- Line or Six-number Bet: A bet on two lines of numbers that are adjacent to each other, with odds of 5 to 1.
- Red or Black Bet: A bet on either a red or black number. It has even odds of 1 to1.
- Odd or Even Bet: This is a bet on whether the winning number will be odd or even. The odds are also 1 to 1.
- Field Bet: With a field bet, you can choose to bet on two different ranges of numbers, either from 1 to 18 or 19 to 36. Hence you bet on all the numbers that fall within the selected range. This bet also has odds of 1 to 1.
- Column Bet: A bet on any of the three columns on the table. The odds are 2 to 1. Of course, the bet covers all 12 numbers within the column.
- Dozens Bet: Abet on the first, second or third set of 12 numbers. The dozens are 1-12, 13-24, or 25 – 36 and the odds in this bet are 2 to 1.
- High/Low Bet: A bet on either the 1 to 18 or 19 to 36 range.
Race Track Bets
Some variations of roulette come with additional bet options like:
- Voisins du Zero or Neighbours of Zero Bet: This bet covers 17 numbers on the wheel that are close to the green zero. The odds of winning in this bet is 45.9%.
- Tier du Cylindre: This bet is on the 12 numbers on the other side of the wheel, in comparison to Voisins du Zero. The odds of winning here are 32.4%.
- Orphan Bet: This bet covers the remaining 8 numbers that are not covered by Voisins du Zero and Tier du Cylindre. The odds of winning for this bet are 21.6%.
Here are some common terms that you will come across when playing online roulette:
- Action – the total amount you wager in a certain period of time.
- All-In – when you bet all your money on one bet.
- American Roulette – A variant of roulette with 2 zeros “00”.
- Chip – these are coin-like chips marked with different denominations.
- Cold Numbers – are numbers that have not appeared for at least 37 spins.
- Comp – a casino gives them for free to increase winning opportunities.
- Croupier – the person that calls the bets, spins the wheel and rewards winners.
- High Roller – a player who wagers a large amount of money.
- Hot Numbers – numbers that hit more frequently.
- House Edge – the amount that the casino gains from your wagers.
|1||FortuneToWin Casino Review||Welcome Package C$1500 + 150 Free Spins||Claim Bonus|
There are three main types of roulette available at most Canadian online casinos. Of course, there are many other options out there. However, they are all based on the classics.
This is the most popular variation both in land-based and online casinos. Like in American roulette, the outside bets here like red/black or odd/even have equal payouts. But unlike the American counterpart, European roulette has only one zero and a house edge of 2.70%.
The American version of roulette is the second most popular type. This one has a numbers range on the wheel from 1 to 36. In addition, there are zero and double zero pockets. In comparison to other types, American roulette has a higher house edge of 5.26%. Of course, that is because of the double zeros.
French roulette is more or less like the European one in terms of gameplay. However, what makes this version unique is that it comes with two extra rules. Those are “en prisons” and “la Partage”, both of which allow you to recover your loss in certain cases. The odds of winning in French roulette are 2.7%.
Loads of Online Roulette Options
Besides the three main types of roulette, there are plenty of other options available. Here are just a few of your choices out there on the casino market:
- Roulette Royale: This is a European-style version which stands out from the rest with its progressive jackpot feature. It has an RTP of 37% and a jackpot worth a hundred times your bet.
- Multi-Player Roulette: This is a very easy to play version. But unlike other counterparts, here you join other players at beating the casino. In addition, there is a timer before each spin.
- Multi-wheel Roulette: With multi-wheel you get the opportunity to play on up to 8 tables at the same time. Of course, this increases your chances of winning.
- Live Roulette: Live roulette games have real human dealers and a random number generator (RNG) software. But the rules are the same as the non-live versions.
Although roulette is a pure game of chance there are a few strategies you can do. In order to improve your winning chances, here are some betting systems you can try:
- Martingale System – This popular betting system involves making a 2/1 type of bet. So basically you double the stake in the same position when you lose until you win.
- Fibonacci System – This system is based on the Fibonacci progression. In this case you should continue with the system you start with until you win.
- Labouchere System – This is a popular cancellation system that applies to online roulette. This system is designed to help you win a predetermined amount of money without exceeding or reducing.
- D’Alembert System – With this strategy you should bet on one unit more than the previous bets using a mathematical progression. This system aims for bigger payouts.
Play Roulette Online
If you choose to play roulette online, there are a few factors you need to consider. In order to ensure you are signing up to the right casino, pay attention to these key aspects:
- Security and license: Of course, the site should have a license by a renowned authority. In addition it should protect your data with the latest technology.
- Payment Options: Look for multiple payment options to get convenient, fast and secure transactions.
- Bonuses: A good site always has generous bonuses and promotional offers to boost your bankroll.
- Variety of Games: A wide range of games to choose from is important. But the classics like slots, table games and options at the live casino should always be available.
- Customer Support: In a good casino the support team is available 24/7. And, of course, via different communication channels like email, live chat and telephone.
|1||Casino Superlines Review||Welcome Package C$1,800 + 175 Free Spins||Claim Bonus|
Play Roulette on Mobile
One of the advantages of online roulette is that you can spin the wheel from anywhere in Canada. Most online casinos now allow you to play roulette on your standard mobile device. In order to play from your mobile you can do it instantly via any web browser. Alternatively, you can download an app for Android and iOS.
Play for Real Money vs Playing it for Free
Like other casino games, you can play roulette for free or for real money. On one hand, with the free mode, you don’t have to risk any money. Additionally, sometimes to play for free you don’t even have to sign up at a real money casino.
On the other side, playing roulette for real money comes with several benefits. Real money play allows you to win and keep big prizes. Some games offer progressive jackpots to players, too. Of course, real money games are fair as they use RNG software to determine the outcome. Not to mention the thrill of the spin, but most importantly – any budget is okay. Roulette games have a wide betting range to accommodate both low and high roller players.
Online roulette is one of the most popular and simplest casino games. It features lots of variations and hundreds of casinos in Canada are offering it. Besides the simple rules, the chance of big wins is what’s so appealing. In addition, there are some strategies you can apply to boost your odds of winning. If you feel intrigued, you can try your luck at some of the leading online casinos in Canada. Have a look at our casino review library and pick a destination to play.
You can win at online roulette by practicing with the free mode and sticking to your strategy.
The roulette variation with the best chances of winning is European roulette as it has a house edge of 2.70%.
The worst bet you can make is the 5-number bet or basket bet which has an edge of 7.9%.
The skill to manage your funds because you can play for longer and avoid losses.
Online roulette works in a very simple way - you select a bet, predict the outcome and spin the wheel.
We recommend the D’Alambert system where you start by betting small amounts.
|1||FortuneToWin Casino Review||Welcome Package C$1500 + 150 Free Spins||Claim Bonus|